Thursday, April 14, 2011

How do you know as a parent if your child is being trained right?

I began working out back in 1976 at the age of 12. There wasn't a lot of information available on working out at that time but luckily my good friend Dan Lewis had his big brother's weight training book written by Franco Columbo. Franco is not only a former world record holder in the bench press but he is also a former Mr. Olympia and Arnold Schwarzenegger's close friend and biggest rival in bodybuilding. So at the age of 12, armed only with Franco's book and what little bit of knowledge Dan's 17 year old brother had passed down to us, we began weight training. The Internet has now changed all that for kids  who are looking to begin weight training. I don't think one person could read every article on weight training that comes up in a Google search if they started at birth and read until they were 100 years old. The problem with too much information is there are far too many conflicting views. It is so easy for a child (or even a parent) to get bad information from the Internet when it come to fitness. If you are not in the fitness business you don't have any philosophies established to know good information from bad. You may think your kid is in good hands because you have hired a trainer but just like any other profession in the world there are good trainers and bad trainers. Is every mechanic you have been to in your life good? Of course not. Just because the trainer your kids are working with has fancy letters after their name like PHD, MD, MS, or ME doesn't necessarily make them a good trainer. I have a masters in kinesiology and that qualifies me to train and coach kids in weight training and performance training as much as it would qualify me to perform surgery on someone. What does qualify me is years of experience and education specifically geared towards young people. I have seen trainers with REALLY fancy letters at the end of their name do exercises with young teenagers that could cause problems in their development and could have caused serious injury. Kids' bodies are constantly developing and due to this their spines and joints are not ready for some exercises and movements. I realize that if a trainer is certified or has fancy degrees you should be able to trust them working with your kids but please don't make that mistake. Not all certifications are equal in what they really teach. Getting certified as a trainer is not hard as one might think. I wish I had a formula I could give to parents that would tell you how to determine if a trainer or performance coach is good or bad, but I don't. I know this causes a dilemma for those of you who are parents because you want to do what's best for your kids. While I don't have that magic formula I do have a couple of suggestions that will make it a little bit easier for you to make good decisions. Organizations like the National Strength and Conditioning Association, or NSCA have seminars all over the country. Many of these types of organizations also offer webinars. Webinars are more cost effective than the traditional seminar and don't require investing the same amount of time.You can watch from the comfort of your home and there are webinars offered regularly that deal just with training young people. I will give a couple of examples of these organizations at the end of this article. I would like to note that I have no affiliation with either group other than some continuing education hours I have received. It will only take a few hours of your time to contact one of these organizations and /or participate in a seminar or webinar. Doing this type of research will not only give you a better understanding of performance training and weight training but it just might prevent an injury from happening that could affect your child  for the rest of their life .Using the information these organizations have to offer will aid you in making better choices for your children when it comes to trainers and training. The NSCA and www.performbetter.com are just two reputable organizations that I would recommend but there are many more out there. These are the two I have had personal experience with and have found their information helpful. I encourage you to learn as much as possible, but remember that even a little bit of knowledge can go a long way when choosing the right trainer/coach for your child.

NSCA Youth Training Symposium 
http://www.nsca-lift.org/Youth2011/
www.performbetter.com


No comments:

Post a Comment